Wednesday, June 13, 2012

What in the hell is wrong with the world today.

I am remembering a time last year when child 3 was telling me that one of the boys in her class told her he didn't like her because she wasn't sexy.  She wasn't sexy, she was 5 she didn't need to be sexy and I told her so.  But really it's not surprising that children are picking up on what is deemed sexy thin women are deemed sexy anyone over a size 12 is considered plus size.  What has happened to us when people think that bordering on anorexia is sexy and good looking, where fake is preferred to real, where you are considered fat if you are above a size 12.

Earlier this year I was in Sydney and went shopping with husband for new jeans.  I walked into one store and asked for a size 16 pair of jeans, the girl looked at me with contempt and with a smug tone told me that " We don't carry anything larger than a 14" Sure ok I am not skinny I am a little overweight but seriously I don't need to be spoken down to like I am a lessor being, Luckily the next shop I went into went all out with their help and not only found me the size I needed but helped me make sure that they fit properly and I was comfortable in them before buying them it was outstanding service and as soon as I got home I fired off an email to the parent company congratulating them on their wonderful staff.  The other company got a short terse email about teaching their employee's to speak nicely to customers because we are the base of their business.

How have we let it come to this?  I feel for my girls because they are always going to be judged by their looks or their boob size before anything else.

Why have we gone from seeing this woman a sex goddess to seeing 


as one?

 

3 comments:

  1. Great post. You can blame the media for that. Aside from that, since when is a 5 year old supposed to be sexy, whether thin or not? Disturbing on so may levels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But can we really blame the media crissy? Can't we think for ourselves why is it that healthy weight is considered unhealthy and fat and underweight is considered healthy and good looking. Are people that much out of touch with what they should think that they rely on the media to tell them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems so. We are bombarded with it from every angle. Movies, tv, music, cartoons, billboards, magazines..what else are people going to think when it is a resounding message from all angles. people are much more likely to question themselves than so many other repetitive views.

    ReplyDelete